Your home protects you and your family from the elements, and the best way to protect your home from high winds and storm damage is to be prepared. Wind damage is hard on your roof, your siding and your windows. It does not have to storm to cause damage; wind can pick up and tear at your home without rain, hail and lightning. Remember to be thoughtful of wind advisories as well as thunderstorm warnings when it comes to being prepared.
When there is a chance of high winds or heavy storms, evaluate your home and surroundings ahead of time to ensure there are not any weak areas that may contribute to damage.
- Walk around your home and look on the ground for any debris from your roof, flashing, siding or windows.
- Make a visual inspection from the ground, checking for shingles that may be loose, missing or torn. Check for tiles that have been moved or broken. Check that flashing around all of the roofing accessories is not pulled up and remains flush with the roof.
- Check all windows from the outside for standing water and debris in screens or grooves. Look for missing, cracked or broken glass. Also, check around the windows inside to be sure that they lock tight and have a good seal.
- Cut back any trees or tree limbs that may brush up against the house in a wind storm. Remove dead limbs that can be caught up in the wind and tossed onto the house.
- Safely store any lawn ornaments that can be picked up in the wind.
If, after high winds or a storm, there is damage that you can safely attend to before a trusted Atlanta roofer can arrive to make repairs, do so carefully. Do not go on the roof after a storm; if there is any damage you can make minor repairs from the attic.
One of the best ways to be prepared for storm season is to have a trusted Atlanta roofer come out and inspect your home. They can check your roof, windows and siding for any weak areas and make recommendations on how best to protect your home from high winds. For a free estimate, call Pro Roofing in Atlanta