There are certain warning signs that may indicate that your roof is nearing the end of its lifespan. Pay attention to these 8 danger signs to ensure that your home maintains weatherproof safety and security to protect your family and belongings.
- Missing or loose shingles. Shingles may become loose or get torn off during a severe storm or because a roof is simply getting old. A roof with a large number of missing or loose shingles won’t protect a home properly.
- Dry, blistering, cracking, or curling shingles. When shingles start to break down, typically they’re reaching the end of their life, which means that it’s time for a new roof.
- Interior water damage. Stains on interior walls or ceilings or sagging interior ceilings often indicate roof damage, such as deteriorating flashing or inadequate shingle underlayment. Mildew and mold growth can also point to inadequate roof ventilation.
- Damaged or missing flashing. Flashing is used to connect varying components to a roof, such as wall or chimney. If the flashing is missing or damaged, water can leak into the home.
- Overflowing gutters. While overflowing gutters can stem from an issue with the gutters, they can also stem from an issue with the roof. Keep an eye out for water that collects around the foundation as well.
- Granules in the gutters. Granules protect shingles from UV rays to extend their lifespan while adding weight to keep them safe during strong winds. A large number of granules means that the roof must be replaced.
- Dark or dirty areas on the roof. Dark or dirty patches on the roof can point to fungus, algae growth, environmental pollutants, vegetation, or loss of protective granules.
- Sagging roof. A roof that is sagging or buckling in several places isn’t functioning properly. Watch for sagging on the slope or ridges as well as between the rafters in the attic.
When you are looking for signs of damage on your roofing system, always utilize safety standards (OSHA offers easily-accessed guidelines). Without the proper safety equipment, inspect the roof from the ground (can use binoculars for a closer look), or hire a professional roofing company.
Pro Roofing & Siding is a comprehensive roofing company that installs and maintains siding, painting, gutters, insulation, and windows in metro Atlanta and the surrounding area.
Contact us today to learn more about our roof repair services.