As summer approaches Marietta, it’s time to start thinking of summer projects. Fortunately for many of us, this is about the time federal tax refunds start rolling in to finance our upgrades. So – which projects should be high on the priority list? In general, start with critical things that must be fixed. Next, move on to general maintenance issues. Finally, you will be sure to know where you can fit in those beautification projects. After all, the budget bucket only holds so much!
Tackle Critical Issues First
- It is always worth the investment to sit down with a professional contractor to learn about the condition of your roof, and when repair or replacement projects are in order. Marietta averages 56 inches of rain per year and all your valuables are below the roof.
- Is your foundation in good repair? Some things to look for—sticking doors and windows, cracks in the drywall or exterior brick veneer, and a roof ridge that sags. If you have a foundation problem and don’t take care of it, it will only get worse.
Home Maintenance to Protect Your Investment
All homes require various types of maintenance on a regular basis. Here are a few items to put on your checklist:
- Exterior painting (or wood stain) is essential to protecting your wood siding.
- Vinyl siding should be cleaned annually. You will be surprised at the change!
- Inspect and repair the caulking around all your windows. In the long run, this will help save you money on cooling costs.
The “Fun” Projects
These types of projects are great for the summer not only because you can enjoy them but they boost your home equity.
- Garden and lawn landscaping can really visually set off your house and it makes for a relaxing environment.
- Install a backyard deck or patio for a perfect place to relax or entertain on those nice summer weekends. Many Marietta homeowners take this project to the next level by adding a pergola to keep the summer sun at bay.
- Build a backyard shed. You can build one from scratch or from a kit if you possess good DIY skills.
- Install crown moulding in one or more rooms. This adds a level of class to an average looking room.
These are just a few project ideas to get you started. Use your imagination!
For help with shingle roof repair and replacement projects, contact our team at Pro Roofing & Siding. We serve Marietta and the surrounding area.