Looking for more close-up interaction with Mother Nature? You may be considering installing wind chimes, bird feeders, and hanging baskets from your Alpharetta home’s eaves for your viewing pleasure, as well as to enhance the exterior of your home. If so, you may have some questions about how to hang these items. Roofing in Alpharetta experts, Pro Roofing & Siding, would like to share some info and how-to tips.
What Exactly Is an Eave?
Your eaves are the support beams on the underside and near the edge of the roof of your home.
Safely Hang Items From Eaves
The eaves of your house were designed to support the weight of your roof or porch. Hanging items from them will not compromise their structural integrity. However, you should consider the state of your roofing before hanging items from eaves. It is essential to verify the structural integrity of eaves and be on the lookout for rotting boards in need of replacement before hanging any items.
Eave Hanging How-to Tips:
- Plan ahead—Mark eaves with a pencil to determine accurate and even spacing of items.
- Check weight—Verify the weight of items – make sure bird feeders are full and plants are wet before determining their maximum heaviness.
- Use the Correct Hardware—Heavy chains and screw hooks should be sufficient to support the weight of items to prevent injury to those passing below, as well as damage to items. Be sure to read product information to select the proper strength. NOTE: Chains that come as part of an item, such as those on hanging baskets, could be insufficient.
- Think Before Drilling—This will prevent unnecessary damage to your roofing structure. Drill a pilot hole with a drill bit one size smaller than the screw hook you are installing for both ease of installation and a firm fit. Don’t drill in farther than needed.
- Exposed eaves? Skip the drilling and simply wrap chains around the eave. Be sure to add a little cushioning under the chains to protect the wood.
- Eaves Covered by Vinyl Siding or Soffit? Be certain to verify you are installing into the wood as vinyl and soffits do not necessarily offer adequate support.
If you’re ready to start hanging but fear your roof is in need of a little TLC, contact your Alpharetta roofing professionals, Pro Roofing & Siding, today. Our experts can inspect, identify, and repair all types of roofing issues. Pro Roofing & Siding – your experts for roofing in Alpharetta.
Previously posted on October 22, 2014.